Modern Foreign Languages
In the course of our teaching we enable and encourage students to experience the wider world and get acquainted with the Spanish, French and German speaking world by:
- Differentiating teaching and learning for all students
- Establishing a learning base for all students
- Providing access to authentic resources
- Looking at issues nationally and internationally for the purposes of project work
- Creating an environment where students are challenged by the learning materials and lesson content
All students in Year 7 study Spanish. They are taught in tutor groups and receive 2 hours teaching per week. In Year 8, students also study French. Students continue to study both languages until the end of KS3.
Year 7 Spanish Overview
Units & General Topics covered in the Spanish textbook: Viva Libro 1
- Module 1: Mi vida (My life)
- Module 2: Mi tiempo libre (My free time)
- Module 3: Mi insti (My school)
- Cultural studies: Barcelona (to coincide with study tour).
Year 8 Spanish Overview
- Module 4: Mi familia y mis amigos (My family and friends)
- Module 5: Mi ciudad (My town)
- Module 6: La gramática!
- Cultural studies: Salvador Dalí
Year 8 French Overview
Units & General Topics covered in the French textbook: Studio
- Meeting and greeting, counting to 30, colours
- Days of the week, months of the year
- School life
- Animals, likes and dislikes
- Food and drink
- Nationalities and countries
There is currently only French in Year 9. Both Spanish and French will be taught in September 2015.
Year 9 French Overview
- Module 1: School and education
- Module 2: Health and body
- Module 3: Jobs
- Module 4: Holidays
- Module 5: Hobbies
- Module 6: The environment
Modern Languages are entitlement subjects at KS4. Students are taught in mixed ability sets and receive 5 hours teaching per fortnight. Students follow a 2-year course according to the WJEC specification and results in a GCSE qualification at the end. Please see http://www.wjec.co.uk for further information. The assessment is the same for both languages and is as follows:
Unit 1 : Listening = 20% - Externally Assessed
Students take a listening exam.
Unit 2 : Reading = 20% - Externally Assessed
Students take a reading exam.
Unit 3 : Speaking = 30% - Centre Assessed with External Moderation
Controlled assessment. Students submit two tasks for moderation.
Unit 4 : Writing = 30%
Controlled assessment with external marking. Students submit two tasks for marking
Below are the details of two websites that are used with students during the school year. These websites can be accessed at any time, and are very helpful for extra practice and background reading.
Websites that are available for both French and German are:
www.linguascope.com is an excellent website for KS3, an annual subscription is required as well as access to our username and password.
www.languagesonline.org.uk is an excellent website with exercises that give automatic feedback, with no subscription required.
www.atantot.com is an excellent website for KS3 and KS4 , an annual subscription is required as well as access to our username and password.
www.zut.org.uk is an excellent website for KS3, KS4 and KS5. An annual subscription is required as well as access to our username and password. Although it can be accessed free between 4 pm and 6 am.
www.klar.co.uk is an excellent website for KS3 and KS4 in German, an annual subscription is required as well as access to our username and password.
Pupils in MFL are involved in many extra-curricular activities such as:
- Study tours abroad (German and French Christmas Markets, Barcelona etc.)
- Spanish breakfasts
- GCSE revision days
- A visit to the Languages Show Live in Olympia, London
- Latin American Dance Workshop
- Guest speakers from GCHQ and local universities
- European Languages Day activities
- British Council Comenius links